Today’s post is the second in a series on making more milk! Join us over the next few weeks as we look at different ways of naturally increasing milk supply.
One of the most common worries of mothers is that they are not producing enough milk for their babies. Many things can effect milk supply- stress, diet, baby’s eagerness to nurse, schedule, sleep- and it’s easy to get overwhelmed and just want to throw in the towel.
This, in conjunction with a good diet, is a great way to ensure that your supply stays up and is meeting your baby’s needs. Adding in foods like oatmeal, leafy greens, flaxseeds, and brewer’s yeast will also help your supply- but more on that later!
Using herbs is a great way to boost your supply, too. There are herbs that are considered ‘lactogenic’, meaning that they increase the production of milk in humans. Some of these herbs include:
- Asparagus Racemosus
- Blessed Thistle
- Goat’s Rue
- Milk Thistle
- Red Raspberry
Herbs can be taken in several ways, the most common being capsules, teas, and tinctures. Today, we are giving away an amazing milk-increasing herbal mix called Mama’s Milk Tea from the Bulk Herb Store, and it can be taken any of these ways!
Mama’s Milk Tea contains red raspberry leaf, fennel seed, nettle leaf, fenugreek seed, dandelion leaf, and blessed thistle- so many herbs to boost your supply and the quality of your breast milk! I am using this as a tea regularly, and I notice an almost immediate boost in supply each time I take the tea. It has a pleasant, palatable taste- not too sweet or bitter, and not overwhelmingly green or maple/pancakey (from the fenugreek) either. However, if you’re looking for a flavorful tea to have with your afternoon snack, this probably isn’t it 🙂
As milk production goes, using herbs is an easy, affordable way to boost your supply without choking down large pills or rubbing yourself with oils several times a day. Make a quart of tea in the morning and drink it throughout the day, and you’ll be good to go!
Some more information on Mama’s Milk Tea from the Bulk Herb Store:
- This dry herb mixture can be made into a tincture. As a tincture, it would be even more effective than as a tea. Directions for making tinctures can be found on the Preparing Remedies page. Just remember to drink lots of water with it.
- The mixture can also be ground up into powder and encapsulated.
- Because of the Fenugreek, avoid using it internally during pregnancy.
- This recipe is not just for nursing mamas. Because of the cleansing properties of these herbs, anyone can benefit from their cleansing effects on the liver, gall bladder and kidneys.
- It can be used to benefit anyone: men, women (except during pregnancy), children and animals.
- It can be used as often as you would like, and in any way you choose.
- As is the case with most herbs, this mixture should be stored in a dark, dry, and cool place. Refrigeration or freezing is great, but certainly not necessary. Following these suggestions will delay the loss of its highly valued nutritional and medicinal properties.
So, you wanna win a bag of Mama’s Milk Tea? Here you go! Giveaway is open to anyone living in the US. Giveaway winner will be announced on Facebook on Sunday, as well as contacted by email. If there is no response within 24 hours, another winner will be selected. Good luck and happy nursing!