One of the biggest worries of a new breastfeeding mom is whether or not her little one is getting enough to eat. It’s impossible to tell how much your baby is getting without a bottle, so you are left to count wet diapers and look at weight gain- it can be a little stressful!
Because of this, many new moms rely on different foods and supplements to boost their milk supplies. There are many different tactics, ranging from ‘power pumping hours’ to drinking a responsible amount of dark beer (my favorite). There are countless recipes for muffins and cookies and what have you.
Eating baked things just makes me feel bloated, so I concocted my own lactation booster: The Ultimate Lactation Smoothie. It’s chock full of galactogogues- foods that boost milk production. One of these babies each morning is not only full of great nutrition for you and baby, but will keep you full AND, hopefully, boost your supply.
- 1.2-2 cups raw spinach
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal (old fashioned is best- not instant)
- 2 Tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed or flax meal (freshly ground)
- A few shakes of cinnamon, to taste
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1 apple, chopped into blend able pieces
- 1 cup Mama’s Milk tea or fenugreek tea
- Coconut water or almond milk to thin if necessary
- Optional: contents of 1-3 fenugreek capsules
Put all ingredients in blender in the order listed (this makes blending easier). If necessary, add extra liquid- water is fine, but almond milk or coconut water will add nutritional benefits, too. It tastes a lot like an oatmeal cookie 🙂 Drink up!
Please remember that every body is different, and how you react to certain food may be different from how I react.